Welcome to my blog! I hope to see your comment soon!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Everything Does Matter

My favorite book this year was Everything Matters! not in spite of the end, but because of it. Now, please do not get me wrong--I do not like watching death in any matter, nor do I think life is "a messy and heartbreaking and overall pointless affair" like Junior might believe, but I love the paradoxically realistic nature of the science fiction story. As much as I might poke fun at Ms. Serensky for saying that she does "not want to have to be a silver lining for anybody," I believe that Junior's outlook is in accordance to hers; he thinks that the reality, not any false hope, is beauty. He wishes that people "understood...that from the moment two cells combined to become one the were doomed," because then they could truly appreciate life in its entirety. Although one may have the mindset of Amy at first, who saw things as "beautiful and doomed and thus terrible," if this person reads Everything Matters!, they can learn to appreciate the beauty in things that are doomed. This was by far the best book because through it, I learned to find beauty in everyday experiences.

annual flowers (a.k.a. they die every year)

1 comment:

  1. Lizzie, I also chose Everything Matters! as my favorite book for this year. I definitely agree that what made it so good was how the book fixated on small events to illustrate how ever decision truly has consequences. I also appreciate how Currie can warp emotions so quickly and strongly, making his plot come alive in an elegant twist of fate. I agree, this book definitely helped me see the beauty in everyday events.

    ReplyDelete