Welcome to my blog! I hope to see your comment soon!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Foggy Day in AP English

I sit in my usual dark corner of the English room, and now I can barely see. I thought the fog was bad. But this. This I can barely see through. I look down and see the multiple choice test I took yesterday. I know this will be the worst day in the history of AP English. As, I look around the room, one boy in particular stands out in the fog more than anyone else. I don’t know his real name, I just call him Journal Boy. To myself, of course, as I don’t speak to anyone in the class. “the only thing they’d miss if I didn’t show up would be the [pencil] and the [paper] floating around.” Journal Boy looks at his team and the rest of the room and exclaims, “I am both a blessing and a curse.” His group will win. I know it. I, on the other hand, do not have a group—a severe consequence of my not talking. As he spins his pen around on his hand and clicks it, “this sound mixes with the whirr and clang of the rest of the machines.” They all cheer and brag throughout the fog. With each click of Journal Boy’s pencil, “the hand on the end of that arm pumping bigger and bigger as he clenched and unclenched it.” We neared the end of the game, and the tallies on the board just floated along with the rest of the faces, A’s, B’s, C’s, and D’s of multiple choice. The only thing that has any detail is Journal Boy’s face—until a look of extreme anguish comes over his face, he suddenly disappears back into the fog. I look onto the board and see, “Winner: Group Bromden.”

1 comment:

  1. This is really clever, Lizzie! I really like the twist at the ending. I'm sure that next time, everyone will want to be with him, since he was obviously the highest scorer. For example, I like to partner with Sarah. She is, of course, my friend. However, she is also especially good at the multiple choice... Anyways, I like how you metaphorically compared the students to machines. During the AP Multiple Choice, I would say this is a fairly accurate comparison.

    ReplyDelete