Welcome to my blog! I hope to see your comment soon!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Children, Tears, and Almanacs...What Could Be More Enjoyable

Yes, for my favorite poem of the year, I, of course, choose the saddest one. For some reason, I am always drawn to sad movies, books and, now apparently, poems. When I first read this poem, I felt...well confused, as I do with all poems, but as I dug a little deeper, I knew it evoked raw sadness, "the sort of pure, inconsolable grief that only children are capable of" (Currie, 286). I have always cherished innocence and think it is the key to happiness. The fact that the girl from this poem barely had a chance to see innocence evokes that kind of sadness from me. I just wish for this child to be "separated, however temporarily, from [her] awareness of the" tears she can percieve everywhere (Currie, 266). When the almanac "plants tears," it truly shows how much the girls innocence is being taken away by her environment. Although some people may believe that children "should be aware of the trials ahead so that [they] may appreciate the effortless" nature of childhood, I think they should be ignorant of their innocence (Currie, 3). This is the only true path to pure, childlike happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment