Welcome to my blog! I hope to see your comment soon!

Monday, April 18, 2011

The Dream Day In AP English

Everyone knows that the best day in AP English includes a movie. Even if you have to take notes, that movie is a gift from the gods. In an alternate universe (or, you never know, sometime in the near future), we all sit in this well known room attentively, waiting for the movie to begin. For, we know any small misbehavior may threaten our privilege. I sit near the back, not on purpose, but it gives me a clear view of Ms. Serensky and her practiced hands, grading our in class essays from the previous day. As the movie wears on, I see a flick out of the corner of my eye. I turn to stare at Ms. Serensky. She is reading my paper. About a minute into it, "she swipes at her eyes with the back of her hand." Is my paper really that bad? Is she that upset with my reaction to her teaching techniques that I've actually brought her to tears? I feel deflated as the movie ends, knowing I have to face the big fat 2 on my paper. I flip over the paper she has placed strategically on my desk. I see a 9. I am in disbelief. A 9. "I [feel] like I [am] flying. Free." I look to see if she commented on the back. One sentence presented itself: "That certainly seems a satisfactory [analysis], does it not?" Yes, I think. Yes it does.

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth, Congratulations on the 9! That is quite an accomplishment! I too can remember one of the few times I received a rubric score above a 7, it was a historic moment in my AP English career. I really liked the quote that you used from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, it truly fits with the sensation of accomplishment that follows such a great grade.

    ReplyDelete