Welcome to my blog! I hope to see your comment soon!

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Seeing is Believing

When our class began reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, we all felt skeptical of Bromden's credibility as an author due to his very descriptive, yet unusual, perceptions of reality.  He tended to see things which did not truly exist, like a ball and chain on the end of someone's hand, or green slime covering the walls.  We came to a conclusion that Bromden had more tangible interpretations of reality than the average person and this reminded me of the disease, synethesia.  This is a disease of the mind where numbers and letters are percieved to have colors assigned to them, or even certain days and months evoke personalities of their own.  Over 60 types of this disease exist, yet only a fraction of that has been studied.

This state is usually a result of a stroke, seziure, or psychadelic drugs.  This leads me to believe that maybe Bromden's visions were a result of one of the drugs given to him by the nurses.

Then again, I know I personally have a color for each state in America:  Colorado is yellow; Ohio is green; Kentucky is red.  Also, I know I have discussed with other people the color of subjects in school.  I have heard multiple times "Science is so green" and "Math is definitely red."  So, where is the line drawn for these tangible perceptions of reality as an "insane" view of the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment