Welcome to my blog! I hope to see your comment soon!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Blind Faith

In our discussion today, I was surprised at how much we focused on the debate of the sanity of the narrator.  I thought that would be a small factor, and as I read, I focused much more on his reactions to the world around him and how these reactions reflected the character of his environment; I was wrong to think the narrator's insanity would not matter.  I found, during our discussion today, how much I blindly follow what is told to me, no matter the source.  I find myself easily swayed by any opinion, even when others in class have a debate.  As they go back and forth, I agree with the opinion one side, and then agree to the exact opposite opinion of the same argument the next minute.  This is a serious weakness of mine and it clearly shows as I read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.  Obviously this guy has serious issues, I mean, he sees people turn into bunnies!  However, it is so difficult for me to not follow his views; I hate the Big Nurse, feel that the entire institution is "out to get" all the patients, and feel that there is a plan to assimilate all of them on the Inside into the Outside.  As I see it from a rational and reasoned with point of view, Chief Bromden has no credibility, but inside the book, I want to believe every word he says (I rationalize this with "his warped views are artistic and metaphorical ways of looking at life").  So the real question is, although he may be "insane," how credible is Chief Bromden?

1 comment:

  1. I have the same problem, Lizzie. I did not realize my dependency and trust in the narrator until I saw how little other members of my class distrusted his credibility. Despite their doubts, I still feel that Chief Bromden is the most credible narrator Kesey can realistically provide. McMurphy's viewpoint would obviously be skewed by his personality and strong biases; the Nurse's or aides viewpoint would paint a completely unrealistic picture of the ward; and the other mental patients I feel would fail to portray the story as accurately as Bromden. So despite any lurking fears I might have regarding Bromden's mental state, I trust his narration.

    ReplyDelete