Welcome to my blog! I hope to see your comment soon!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Is It Who We Truly Are?

A week or two ago, I found myself flipping through the channels and came across the show Gilmore Girls.  Now, I have never seen this show before, except for in passing, which made it more surprising to me that I heard Gogol's name within the first five seconds of deciding whether or not to change the channel.  Upon hearing this, I decided to endure my first (almost) full episode of this show.  Rory (or Loreli, I'm not really sure), the protagonist of the show, was asked what books she was in to.  She answered "I'm really getting into the Russians, particularly Nikolai Gogol and his story, The Overcoat."  Not only did I find this coincidental, but I also found her actions to be like Gogol Ganguli in this episode; when asked what she was doing the exact time she received her Harvard application, she replied that she had been reading Gogol's stories, when actually she had been watching a ridiculous children's television show.  It made me realize the facade that Gogol was trying to portray when he changed his name. Who is he really?  I know Rory seemed like a smart girl who should attend Harvard, but she was not the person reading Gogol when she received her Harvard application.  In parallel to this, although an outgoing, American person may be part of who Gogol is, he is never fully and truly the person he attempts to convey.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a weird coincidence, The Namesake still seems to take over our lives even when we move onto a new book! Also, I completely agree that a huge portion of this novel dealt with Gogol attempting to convince himself and others that he depicted someone else than his true personality. I like the parallels that you drew between Gogol and Rory, it seems they do share many qualities.

    ReplyDelete