Welcome to my blog! I hope to see your comment soon!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Forever Reading, Forever AP English

Earlier this week, my brother tagged me in a "note" on Facebook that led me to a conclusion about AP English.  His note was called "23 out of 100 BBC books," and sent it to me and a few other people regarding us as "all you other book nerds out there."  Apparently, the BBC believes most people will have read only 6 of the 100 books listed on the page and they had you bold the ones you finished and italicize the ones you started but never got around to finishing.  Thankfully, I had read more than six (if I'm going to be considered a "book nerd," I might as well practice it) but there were a lot more that I wanted to read than ones I had read.  This made me have one of those feelings that many of us have that there is so much to do and no where near enough time to do it.  And, I thought, I'm going to have to annotate every single one of these, which will take even longer.  Then, I realized, in less than seven months, I will never have to annotate again, but I wanted to.  I wanted to get the most out of every single book.  I wanted to understand each symbol and literary device and the effect of each device.  I feared that I would lose the ability to do this, or that maybe I needed all the people in my English class to help me along as I read.  Now that I think about it, I do not think this will happen.  If I keep up my status as a "book nerd," I will never lose my ability that I have learned from AP English.

1 comment:

  1. Lizzie, I definitely understand your desire to annotate books outside of AP English. Even though I may find annotating cumbersome while trying to get through a large amount of English reading, I often find myself wanting to annotate even when I am re-reading Harry Potter books. I find it ironic to come across any sort of literary device while reading a book for fun, and have the desire to pick up a pen and comment on it. However, this shows how much we have learned in AP English, and how much more intelligent we have become.

    ReplyDelete